Wednesday, November 8, 2017

08 November 2017: Mount Roberts

This might be the last time I venture out this year. The cold weather is here and I have a winter activity that demands much of my time. I debated making a stab at nabbing a 4000 footer but opted instead for something a little bit more low mileage and elevation

History: Mt Roberts Is the westernmost peak on the Castle in the Clouds conservation trust property, which in part includes peaks on the Ossipee Range. The trust was established in 1979 to preserve the mountains and property which has a gorgeous views of the lakes and mountains in the area. Mount Roberts was named after a family which settled in the area.


Peak Elevation: 2582 ft
Elevation Gain: ~1300 ft.
Trail: Mt. Roberts Trail, roadway
Length: 5.0 mi.
Time on Trail: 1030
Time off Trail: 1315


I prked at the signage with the map and trail descriptions, which added a bit of length to the hike before I realized I could have parked at the carriage house and saved some mileage. No complaints about that though. The trail map describes this tral as “strenuous”, which would translate to Moderate anywhere else in the whites. The trail grade starts off easy, has one steeper section then it levels off to mostly moderate grades thereafter.
Along the way are a number of viewpoints and vistas, some of which seem to be “maintained” which is a change of pace for me since I am used to seeing more wilderness and blowdown viewpoints. The mountain’s vista s afford you to think that you’re almost there, but the trail follows the mountain’s many shoulders as it slopes downwards. With 1300 or so feet of gain over the 2.3 or so miles, this was a pleasant half-day hike. Once I reached the sign for the summit of Roberts I looked around and saw some higher ground, which I had to trudge through some vegetation to get to. I wish I had the time to have made the trek over to Mt. Shaw and Black Snout to do a bit of Peakbagging. I’ll definitely be back because the views of the lakes are stunning and worth revisiting.



Photos:
Mount Roberts (NH) 08Nov17

No comments:

Post a Comment